The National Australia Day Council Limited (NADC) is a not-for-profit Australian Government owned company limited by guarantee. The NADC leads a network of affiliated state/territory Australia Day organisations (National Network) who in turn lead networks of Local Australia Day Committees/Governments in their state/territory.
- how we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information;
- how you may seek to access or correct your personal information; and
- how you can make a privacy complaint or enquiry.
What is personal information?
What personal information do we collect?
Personal information may be collected by the NADC:
- directly from you or your representative;
- through independent research or social media; or
- from third parties such as nominees, nominators, referees and general members of the public.
The kinds of personal information collected by the NADC includes, but is not limited to:
- email addresses;
- contact details;
- moving images;
- biographical information (including date or birth and age);
- qualifications and experience;
- any other personal information provided to the NADC.
For what purposes does the NADC collect, use and disclose personal information?
The NADC collects, uses and discloses personal information to carry out its functions and activities, which includes working with the National Network to:
- promote the celebration of Australia Day;
- coordinate and promote the Australian of the Year Awards; and
- contribute to the recognition of the achievements and contributions of Australians generally (including through other national and state-based honours and awards programs).
Personal information is also collected for the purposes of:
- historical, statistical, promotional and archival use, and in the case of biographies, photographs and moving images, for ongoing publication and rebroadcast; and
- recruitment and employment management, as well as
Information supplied via email will be used for the purpose for which it has been provided. We may also use contact details supplied by individuals to inform them of upcoming events, and for other promotional purposes. If an individual does not wish to receive these materials, they can notify the NADC by contacting us at the address below.
Photographs and images
Photographs and moving images may be taken by or on behalf of the NADC, the National Network or Local Australia Day Committees/Governments at events organised by these bodies. These photographs and images may be used for purposes associated with promoting the celebration of Australia Day or to coordinate and promote the Australian of the Year Awards.
People appearing in photographs or moving images that have been taken by or on behalf of the NADC have the right to ask that their image not be used for further promotion.
Employees and contractors
If you are a current or former employee, contractor or job applicant, the NADC collects and holds personal information for the purposes of managing recruitment, employment and management of personnel. The kinds if personal information we collect include:
- job applications and supporting documents
- employee, referee and emergency contact details
- salary, superannuation, leave and other employment details
- medical certificates
- financial information, such as bank details
- personal and financial interest details about an employee/contractor and immediate family members.
Website data collection and cookies
The NADC has two web sites:
- the user's device IP address;
- the user's domain name (e.g. .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc);
- the date and time of the visit to the site; and
- the pages accessed and documents downloaded.
You can set your browser so that your computer does not accept cookies, however please note this may affect your ability to use the full functionality of our websites.
The NADC is connected to a number of social media websites. Where individuals upload any personal information to these social media websites, individuals should refer to those websites' privacy policies for information about how their personal information is collected, used, accessed, stored and disclosed.
The NADC collects personal information from third party social media websites. The NADC collects personal information from the following websites where individuals choose to upload information to the NADC's social media pages:
- Google +
Where individuals upload personal information to social media websites including Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Google +, Flickr, Youtube, Instagram and Blogspot, individuals should refer to those websites' privacy policies for information about how their personal information is secured.
How is personal information stored?
All personal information collected by NADC is stored in a secure manner. Personal information collected by us is safely destroyed from time to time in accordance with our policies.
To whom do we disclose personal information?
The NADC may disclose personal information for the purpose of assessing the suitability of award nominees and coordinating the Australian of the Year Awards and other national and state-based honours and awards programs.
Personal information collected by the NADC may be disclosed to:
- contractors, consultants and media partners
- the National Network and Local Australia Day Committees/Governments
- Awards selection panels in each State/Territory and nationally in relation to other national or state-based honours and awards programs
- event and conference attendees, speakers and sponsors (event and conference attendee information only)
- contractors, consultants and media partners
- contracted service providers (including ICT professional services providers)
- Other persons and bodies with your consent, where this is authorised by law, or it is otherwise a permitted disclosure under the Privacy Act.
Photographs and moving images taken at NADC, National Network or Local Australia Day Committee events may be made available to the media, general public as well as suppliers and contractors, partners, sponsors, the National Network and Local Australia Day Committees/ Governments.
The National Network may also provide personal information shared by the NADC to the third parties outlined above.
How can personal information be accessed and corrected?
NADC takes steps to ensure that the personal information we collect is accurate, up to date and complete. These steps include maintaining and updating personal information when we are advised by individuals that their personal information has changed, and at other times as necessary.
Under the Privacy Act, individuals have the right to:
- request access to or correction of personal information held by NADC;
- make a complaint about how the NADC has handled the individual's personal information.
Access and correction requests and privacy complaints should be made in writing by contacting the Chief Operating Officer on the details below.
If an individual considers that their complaint was not satisfactorily resolved by the NADC, the individual can also make a complaint to the Australian Information Commissioner. See https://www.oaic.gov.au/ for further information.
How to contact us
Contact details for NADC are as follows:
Chief Operating Officer
National Australia Day Council
Old Parliament House
PARKES ACT 2600
Phone: (02) 6120 0600